Last Updated: April 4, 2017
THESE TERMS CONTAIN AN ARBITRATION PROVISION
- Changes to Terms. We reserve the right to modify or amend these Terms at any time. All changes will be effective immediately upon posting to the Site. Material changes will be conspicuously posted on the Site or made available to use via email or otherwise. By accessing or using the Site after changes are posted, you agree to those changes.
- Intellectual Property Rights. The Site, including its text, audio, video, graphics, charts, photographs, interfaces, icons, other content, software, computer code, data, trademarks, logos, slogans, names of products and services, documentation, other components, and the design, selection, and arrangement of content is exclusively the property of the Foundation or, as applicable, its suppliers and licensors, and is protected by copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property laws. The Site may contain references to third-party marks and copies of third-party copyrighted materials, which are the property of their respective owners. Any unauthorized use of any trademarks, trade dress, or any other intellectual property belonging to the Foundation or any third party is strictly prohibited and may be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Use of the site; Compliance with Laws. You may download and print one copy of the Site’s visible content for your personal and noncommercial use, provided you do not modify or delete any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices. You may not otherwise copy, reproduce, display, duplicate, sell, publish, post, license, distribute, or create derivative works of the Site or any part of the Site without the prior written consent of the Foundation. You may not use the Site for unlawful purposes. You may not access, use, or copy any portion of the Site or its content through the use of indexing agents, spiders, scrapers, bots, web crawlers, or other automated devices or mechanisms. You may not use the Site to post or transmit any material that contains any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, malware, adware or other computer programming routines that may damage, interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information. User activities that aim to render the Site or associated services inoperable or to make their use more difficult are forbidden. You may not submit inaccurate information via the Site, commit fraud or falsify information in connection with your use of the Site, or act maliciously against the business interests or reputation of the Foundation. You may only use the Site for lawful purposes. You are responsible for complying with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations that apply to your use of the Site.
- Copyright Policy. We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we ask that our users do the same. In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), located at 17 U.S.C. § 512, and other applicable laws, we strive to expeditiously remove any infringing material from the Site if we become aware of the same. If you believe that anything on the Site infringes any copyright that you own or control, please provide our designated agent with a notice that contains the following information:
- A description of the copyrighted work(s) that you claim have been infringed;
- A description of the allegedly infringing material, including its location on the Site;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- Your email address, telephone number, and mailing address;
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf; and
- An electronic or physical signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Your notice must meet the then-current requirements implemented by the DMCA. Contact information for our designated agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement is:Web Development Manager
Robert R. McCormick Foundation
205 N Michigan Avenue Suite 4300
Chicago, IL 60601
- User-Generated Content.
- The Site may allow you to create, post, or otherwise submit comments, images, data, text, and other content via the Site and to respond to content submitted by others (together, “User-Generated Content”), for example, via our blog. User-Generated Content is neither generated nor controlled by the Foundation. The Foundation is not responsible for any User-Generated Content. You are responsible for all User-Generated Content that you submit and for the legality, originality, and appropriateness thereof. You must comply with this section when submitting User-Generated Content.
- By submitting User-Generated Content you warrant that you have the rights, permissions, and consents necessary to submit such User-Generated Content and to authorize us to use such User-Generated Content as permitted by these Terms. You further warrant that User-Generated Content you submit will not cause the Foundation to violate any law regulation. By submitting User-Generated Content, you waive any right, and you agree not to assert, that any use of such User-Generated Content by us or any third party infringes or violates your intellectual property rights, rights of privacy, rights of publicity, or other right. You retain any copyright or other intellectual property right you may have in User-Generated Content that you submit.
- Please keep in mind that any User-Generated Content that you submit will be publicly available. You must maintain a polite, pleasant, and respectful environment. User-Generated Content that harasses, abuses, stalks, threatens, or otherwise violates the legal rights of others is prohibited. User-Generated Content must be relevant to the stated topic (for example, the applicable blog post). User-Generated Content that is defamatory, indecent, pornographic, obscene, or otherwise objectionable or harmful is prohibited. You may not create a false identity, hide your true identity, or impersonate or represent any person other than yourself.
- User-Generated Content is not monitored. The Foundation reserves the right, but does not have the obligation, to review User-Generated Content and its submission. The Foundation also reserves the right, but does not have the obligation, to delete User-Generated Content from the Site at any time for any reason. The Foundation has no obligation to archive or otherwise store any User-Generated Content. The Foundation reserves the right to impose limits on Site features (e.g., the ability to submit User-Generated Content) and to restrict your access to all or parts of the Site at any time for any reason, including without limitation violation of this section.
- Feedback. The Foundation welcomes comments regarding the Site. If you submit comments or feedback to us regarding the Site, they will not be considered or maintained as confidential. We may use any comments and feedback that you send us in our discretion and without attribution or compensation to you.
- NO WARRANTY. THE SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” “AS AVAILABLE,” AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. THE FOUNDATION MAKES COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE EFFORTS TO ENSURE THAT ALL MATERIAL, INFORMATION, AND DATA ON THE SITE IS ACCURATE AND RELIABLE, BUT ACCURACY CANNOT BE GUARANTEED. THE FOUNDATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE QUALITY, COMPLETENESS, TIMELINESS, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE SITE. THE FOUNDATION DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT ANY DEFECTS IN THE SITE WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE SITE OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE THE SITE AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS. THE FOUNDATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS ON THE SITE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE FOUNDATION EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THOSE REGARDING AVAILABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY, FITNESS FOR ANY USE OR PURPOSE, COMPATIBILITY WITH ANY STANDARDS OR USER REQUIREMENTS, TITLE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. THE FOUNDATION HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TIMELINESS, DELETION, MISDELIVERY, OR FAILURE TO STORE ANY USER COMMUNICATION.
YOUR USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU, ALONE, ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, SYSTEMS, AND NETWORKS, ANY LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY INFORMATION FROM THE SITE, AND FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGE THAT MAY BE INCURRED. WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION THAT THE SITE IS APPROPRIATE OR AVAILABLE FOR USE IN LOCATIONS OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES. IF YOU CHOOSE TO ACCESS THE SITE FROM LOCATIONS OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLYING WITH APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE FOUNDATION OR IN ANY MANNER FROM THE SITE CREATES ANY WARRANTY.
- NO LIABILITY IN NO EVENT WILL THE FOUNDATION OR ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, CONSULTANTS, AGENTS, SUPPLIERS, OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGE, OR ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE OR YOUR USE OF THE SITE (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE INPUT OF PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE AND OTHER INFORMATION INTO THE SITE), WHETHER THE CLAIM IS BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, WARRANTY, OR OTHERWISE, AND EVEN IF THE FOUNDATION HAS EXPRESS KNOWLEDGE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THE LOSS OR DAMAGE. YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO STOP ACCESSING AND USING THE SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, IF THE FOUNDATION IS FOUND LIABLE TO YOU OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY AS A RESULT OF ANY CLAIMS OR OTHER MATTERS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE OR THESE TERMS, THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY FOR ALL OF THOSE CLAIMS AND OTHER MATTERS WILL NOT EXCEED $100, EVEN IF THIS REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- Indemnification. You will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Foundation and its directors, officers, employees, representatives, consultants, agents, suppliers, and licensors from and against all losses, claims, liabilities, demands, complaints, actions, damages, judgments, settlements, fines, penalties, expenses, and costs (including without limitation reasonable attorneys’ fees) that arise out of or in connection with your access to or use of the Site, your misuse of any material, data, or other information downloaded or otherwise obtained from the Site, your donations and grant applications submitted through the Site, or your violation of these Terms. We reserve, and you grant to us, the exclusive right to assume the defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you.
- Linking to the Site. If you operate a web site and are interested in linking to the Site: (i) the link must be a text-only link and clearly marked; (ii) the link must “point” to the URL appropriate for the subject matter of the link (for example, directly to the relevant Foundation program page); (iii) the link and its use must be in connection with a web site of appropriate subject matter that furthers the mission of the Foundation; (iv) the link and its use must not, nor have the potential to, damage or dilute the goodwill associated with the Foundation’s names and trademarks; (v) the link and its use must not create the false appearance that any program, person, or entity is associated with or sponsored by the Foundation; and (vi) the link, when activated by a user, must display the Site full-screen and not within a “frame.” The Foundation reserves the right to revoke consent to link to the Site at any time in its sole discretion, either by amending these Terms or through other notice.
- Governing Law. These Terms are governed by the laws of the state of Illinois, without regards for its conflict of law principles. Venue is exclusively in the state or federal courts, as applicable, with jurisdiction over Cook County, Illinois, with respect to any dispute arising under these Terms unless otherwise determined by Company in its sole discretion and the parties expressly agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts. The United Nations Convention for the International Sale of Goods does not apply.
- Arbitration Agreement; Class Waiver; Waiver of Trial by Jury. Please read the following paragraphs carefully because they require you to arbitrate disputes with the Foundation and limit the manner in which you can seek relief from us.
- Applicability of Arbitration Agreement. Any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to this Agreement or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity hereof, including the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate (hereinafter, collectively, the “Dispute”), which cannot be resolved informally, shall be resolved by binding arbitration on an individual basis under the terms set forth below (the “Arbitration Agreement”). Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event of any actual, alleged or threatened violation of confidentiality or violation of the Foundation’s intellectual property or other proprietary rights, the Foundation may immediately resort to court proceedings in a court of competent jurisdiction as set forth above in order to seek immediate injunctive relief without posting of a bond, proof of damages or other similar requirement. The institution of any action for injunctive relief shall not constitute a waiver of the right or obligation of any party to submit any claim seeking relief other than injunctive relief to arbitration. This Arbitration Agreement applies to you and the Foundation, and to any of our affiliates, agents, employees, predecessors in interest, successors in interest, and assigns, as well as all authorized or unauthorized users or beneficiaries of the Site provided under the Terms.
- Arbitrator. The arbitration proceeding will be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) before an arbitrator selected pursuant to the AAA rules. The decision of the arbitrator will be final and binding. Any final award or judgment may be filed and enforced in any court of competent jurisdiction. The parties shall share equally in the costs assessed for the arbitration, and each party shall bear its own attorneys’ fees and costs. Any arbitration proceeding may not be consolidated or joined with any other proceeding and will not proceed as a class action. The parties understand that they would have had a right or opportunity to litigate disputes through a court, to have a judge or jury decide their case, and to participate in a class action or other proceeding involving multiple claimants, but they instead choose and agree to have all disputes as set forth herein decided through individual arbitration.
- Place. The place of arbitration shall be in Cook County, Illinois, unless otherwise agreed to in writing by all parties to the arbitration. The parties acknowledge that this Arbitration Agreement evidences a transaction involving interstate commerce, and the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. Sections 1–16, shall govern the interpretation, enforcement and proceedings pursuant to this Arbitration Agreement. The parties expressly agree that any and all actions taken under the Arbitration Agreement and related provisions, including but not limited to all filings, orders, judgments, and awards made in any arbitration proceeding, are confidential and may not be disclosed to any third party.
- Survival. This Arbitration Agreement provision will survive the termination of the Agreement and your relationship with MSC.
- Time Limitation on Claims. The parties agree that they must initiate arbitration within one (1) year after any Dispute arose; otherwise, the Dispute is permanently barred.
- Assignment. We may assign our rights and delegate our duties under these Terms at any time to any party without notice to you. You may not assign these Terms without our prior written consent.
- Third-Party Beneficiaries. These Terms do not confer any rights, remedies, or benefits upon any person other than you, except that our affiliates are third-party beneficiaries of these Terms.
- Survival. Any provisions of these Terms that are intended to survive termination (including any provisions regarding indemnification or limitation of our liability) will continue in effect beyond any termination of these Terms or of your access to the Site.
- Electronic Communications. These Terms and any other documentation, agreements, notices, or communications between you and the Foundation may be provided to you electronically to the extent permissible by law. Please print or otherwise save a copy of all documentation, agreements, notices, and other communications for your reference.
- Contact Us. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding these Terms, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by mail at Robert R. McCormick Foundation, 205 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 4300, Chicago, Illinois 60601.
Copyright © 2017 Robert R. McCormick Foundation. All Rights Reserved.